05 February 2013

Let's Go on a Moonlight Swim


Before going to Oahu in January, I did my research. I watched Blue Hawaii almost all the way through (sleep overtook me before I could resolve if Chad and Maile would actually get the blessings of his parents or if Chad would become the heir of the vast pineapple farm  against his own wishes... I am still in suspense, but sure that some light guitar playing and singing heralded the conclusion).

Sadly, the Waikiki of Elvis fame is now basically an upscale outdoor shopping mall. I prefer the kind of traveling that means culture shock and weird foods. I suppose that not everyone enjoys trying new things though, or being on an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean without a Forever 21 and a Tory Burch nearby.

This was a multi-generational trip with my mom and my grandma (who is 91!), and we managed to create a little oasis of awesomeness in spite of the mall-like exterior. The first day we bought groceries so that we could eat healthy and more cheaply by fixing it in our room. Also, my dear friend (N) picked us up from the airport with a bag of fruit and ground coffee--which endeared her to my grandma for life. We kept up a daily ritual of eating at least one papaya every day for the full two weeks. Perhaps my post-vacation blues are really just papaya withdrawals.

Visiting N's new homeland was my primary incentive for vacationing in the 50th state. That, and getting out of the cold, dark gloominess of winter in New York. Although since returning to the snow and bitter cold, I fear that I just prolonged the inevitable. When it comes to the topic of cold weather  New Yorkers are basically complained out by now, so when I strike up some witty small talk about the real possibility of frost bite I get blank looks.

Other than eating copious amounts of papaya and lying on the beach and/or by the pool everyday (with sunscreen on, or course), I snorkeled at Haunama Bay, painfully clambered up the Koko Head Stairs of Doom, fell in love with açaí bowls, watched the sunset at the China Walls, danced poorly with scarily-aggressive army guys at Addiction, and walked into Honolulu to see the architecturally interesting State Capitol building.

I also heartily recommend the USS Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor, but the Dole Plantation was just okay. I think I would have liked DP more if the bus ride out there wasn't so long. But the dole whip (only available there and at Disneyland Resorts!), was a nice treat. Imagine pineapple soft serve, covered in pineapple... there you go.


No comments:

Post a Comment